Hinton Instruments has introduced its latest product – the SwitchMix.
Hinton Instruments SwitchMix is a compact switched routing matrix for both audio and dc-coupled control voltages. According to Hinton, the SwitchMix offers
“all the advantages of pin matrices without the problems.”
SwitchMix may have balanced or unbalanced compatible inputs and outputs, extending its use beyond synthesizer patching to other audio routing applications including multitrack and effects routing and headphone mixes. The balanced inputs make it suitable for interfacing DAW sound cards into a synthesizer for Silent Way and Volta users.
Two Eurorack versions of the SMX8 are available, with or without front panel jacks.
Rear connections are via DB25 sockets conforming to the Tascam balanced analog pinout. The SMX8EJ (shown) has front panel 3.5mm unbalanced jacks for synthesizer connections and occupies 42HP of Eurorack space. The SMX8EB has balanced Bantam/TT jacks. Other combinations and custom normally are possible.
SwitchMix is completely an analog design that helps in fast and precise summing and is enhanced for analog quality. It is buffered with no digital scanning to breakthrough, no FET distortion, no loading effects, no delays or software artifacts, and no interaction between settings.
SwitchMix allows you to replace a whole “tangle” of patch cables with trouble-free and compact switchable routing matrix, mults, and eight eight-input precision adders in one easy to visualize panel.
About Hinton Instruments:
It is a UK based manufacturing company that manufactures synth and pro audio equipment and it is operated by Graham Hinton. The list of pro audio products offered by Hinton are microphone amplifiers, cables and looms, and MIDI processing equipment.
Some of the important features of Hinton SwitchMix are:
• It contains switches that are LED illuminated on 12.7mm (0.5”) pitch
• It is provided with a Master Cut switch for each output.
• It has a Bi-colour LED indication of the output signal.
• It is inbuilt with 2.5mm brushed stainless steel panel.
Switchmix requires 8 x balanced/unbalanced DC-coupled inputs at 100k ohm input impedance. Optionally, it can use AC-coupled with DC servo motor, 10k ohm bridging load and high-performance audio op-amps for signal applications. It provides 8 x balanced/unbalanced DC-coupled outputs and 100-ohm output impedance.
Output G point may be used for the main Pitch CV with 25 turn trimmer adjustment and link to 16 pin bus and Output H point may be used for the main Gate with both S-trig and full level V-trig on 3 pin KK 0.1 header and 5V level linked to 16 pin bus.
Signal levels present are:
• ±9v (+18dbm) on ±12v
• ±10v (+19.5dbm) on ±15v
• <0.02% @ 1 kHz, +17 dBu
• DC–20kHz < ±0.5 dB • 90kHz -3 dB
• < -86 dBu (unweighted) • Cut: -93 dBu (30 kHz filter) • No signal, all inputs routed: < -77 dBu (30 kHz filter)
• < -100 dB with +17 dBu signal Insertion Loss: • 50 Ω source: -0.05 dB • 500 Ω source: -0.09 dB
• DB25 AES59 (Tascam) analogue pinout
• Front Panel 4.4mm (TT Bantam) jack (balanced) or mini jack (unbalanced)
• Rear connectors options: 6.3mm (1/4”) A or B gauge jack, XLR, DB25, EDAC 38- or 56-way
• +/-12V to +/-15V
• Quiescent current: 70 mA (typical)
• Current with large signals: 100 mA @ 12 V, 120 mA @ 15 V
• Reverse and over voltage and over current protection.
• 4 pin kk 0.156″ (MOTM compatible) and 16 pin ribbon connectors.
• optional mains PSU available.
The switchmix 8x8PEJ is just like the 8x8PE, except:
• 0.1% resistors throughout signal paths for high-accuracy tracking when running separate VCOS or synthesizers from multiple outputs. (not needed for audio or if only one common pitch cv is used, as 1% loss is less than 0.1 dB.)
• pure green LED’s
• 8 x balanced/unbalanced dc-coupled outputs, 100-ohm output impedance